Re: Adopting WHATWG work as a base for work by the new HTML working group (was Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src)

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:04:10 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Quoting David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>:

>> <embed> is much more interoperably implemented for embedding media
>> that requires plugins.
>
> Vendors seem to be waking up to standards, perhaps it is about time they
>  implemented object better.

Patricularly now that most browser vendors are represented on the
WHATWG, it would be the perfect time to see if object can't be
implemented in a saner kind of way.

Admittedly I haven't looked into what the implementation issues with
object are that were hinted at before, but naively I would have
thought that it would be possible to get plugins to expose their API
in a consistent way and then allow browsers to hook into those via the
object? i.e. get standardisation of interfaces at plugin level, after
defining a superset of interfaces that are expected at browser level?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/