Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

On Apr 23, 2007, at 18:51, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Quoting Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>:
>
>> You seem to be assuming that semantic markup is good for the sake of
>> semantics. I see semantic markup as merely a means to achieve media
>> independence.
>
> In that case our views diverge at quite a fundamental point, then.

OK. Do you believe that semantic markup is important for its own
sake? Why?

>> The reality is that normal people don't want to encode
>> the reason why they italicized something. They just want to select
>> some
>> text, hit ctrl-i or command-i and be done with it.
>
> How do you know what people want, when up to now there hasn't been
> a choice for them?

OpenOffice.org Writer/Web does provide the choice albeit the
alternative to generic italicizing is less convenient. But having to
choose from multiple semantic ways of italicizing is necessarily less
convenient than just italizing.

> Given a like-for-like comparison, with an editor that gives them
> appropriate options to mark something up correctly (genus,
> shipname, etc), i'd be interested to see what "normal people" do.

I'd love to be proven wrong by someone designing, shipping and
sustaining a mass-market semantic editor.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi