Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:59:32 +0300
Cc: www-html@w3.org
To: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>

On Apr 23, 2007, at 18:43, David Dorward wrote:

> So "normal people" doesn't care about semantics or media independance.

It seems to me that usually people don't care about semantics. People
who use non-desktop screen UAs might care about media independence,
but many people don't think about it, either.

> Is the next version of HTML going to be a semantic markup language
> (like its predecessor) for people who want to write media independent
> documents or a presentational language with scripting for "normal
> people"?

HTML has never been a final-form geometry delivery format nor a
format that only encodes profound semantics. It has always been
somewhere between those extremes. The exact position has fluctuated
with spec versions.

Henri Sivonen