Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:53:44 +0300
Cc: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>, www-html@w3.org
To: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>

On Apr 23, 2007, at 16:31, Tina Holmboe wrote:

>> For *practical* purposes, <i> will continue to mean italics when
>> applied to bicameral scripts on the visual media.
>
>   Exactly how do you propose that a tool which, for instance,
>   retrieve taxonomic designations from documents to create an
>   index, see the difference between the I-element when used
>   for "practical purposes ... mean italics" and when used
>   as the WA1 suggest is SHOULD be used?

I suggest that such a tool isn't a killer app for semantic markup and
your scenario isn't a realistic use case.

>   And if we cannot use the encoded semantics because it can't
>   be differentiated from *presentational* use, then what's
>   the point in *changing the meaning* of <i>?

“The i element represents a span of text in an alternate voice or
mood, or otherwise offset from the normal prose——whose typical
typographic presentation is italicized.”

>   It certainly can't be to maintain backwards compatibility,
>   since authors use the I-element to *make something italic*
>   regardless of *what* that something is.

I agree that <i> should be defined as italics for bicameral scripts
on visual media.

>   This topic, and many others, must be discussed and, frankly,
>   fixed.

You are welcome to discuss topics related to HTML5 on the WHATWG
mailing list today (and provided that the new HTML WG chooses HTML5
as the starting point, on public-html later).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi