Re: Is "Web Applications 1.0" a sensible starting point for the next iteration of HTML ?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 04:14:13PM +0100, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
> I confess to having considerable reservations about
> this whole Apple/Mozilla/Opera-led initiative, and
> the following statement[1] /really/ causes me to wonder
> where they might seek to take us :
>
> 	> Generally speaking, authors are discouraged
> 	> from trying to use XML on the Web, because
> 	> XML has much stricter syntax rules than the
> 	> "HTML5" variant described above [...]

How odd. The vast majority of authors I've spoken to/typed at about
the subject are discouraged due to lack of support from Microsoft[1]
and GoogleBot. Most seem to be fans of the strict syntax rules and of
the stricter parsing rules, and plenty are using it as text/html.

[1] And I applaud their stance on the subject (holding off until they
can do it right rather then releasing a half-backed implementation)