Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

On Apr 23, 2007, at 15:04, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Tina Holmboe wrote:
>
>>   No, I meant HTML 4.1. Starting with the 4.01 specification would
>>   make perfect sense; take out deprecated elements, clean it up,
>>   remove even more presentational markup ...
>>   Then release it. After that we can see.
>
> Please please please please please.  Sadly it seems far
> too sensible a proposal for people to take it seriously.

The problem with the proposal is that it would tie up editorial and
review talent while failing to address the forward-looking issues
that HTML5 is addressing.

>>   a[n] HTML5 which, for instance, contain <i> with a revised
>>   purpose over what authors has used it for in the last decade.
>
> Oh.  Groan.  However, it's reasonably clear the authors are
> writing about proposed usages with at least some of which
> they are unfamiliar, since the first example of its use is
> the lower-case "f" of "Felis").

For *practical* purposes, <i> will continue to mean italics when
applied to bicameral scripts on the visual media.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi