Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:22:43AM +0100, Spartanicus wrote:

> >> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
> >
> >  Unless I am very much mistaken, the URI you reference is not titled
> >  "HTML 5" but rather "Web Applications 1.0"
>
> HTML 5 is a monicker used to refer to WA1 + Web Forms 2.

  And quite imprecise. "HTML" is a markup language created and
  maintained by the W3C, and version 5 is currently not
  planned.

  Therefore, referring to a "HTML5 spec" is not suitable, as
  it creates confusion.

> The WhatWG was formed by Apple, Mozilla and Opera because they were
> dissatisfied with the way W3C wanted to develop the principle markup
> language for the web. The rebel initiative gathered so much support that

  Indeed. However, that has no relevance to actual standardization
  processes which Apple, Mozilla and Opera already /are/ a part of. We
  have in the past gotten into trouble with ad-hoc additions to
  browsers.

> W3C was urged to consider embracing it. W3C restarted the HTML WG for
> this purpose, see the "New HTML WG at W3C" post dd April 11th 2007 to
> this list.

  Have you read the charter? I would like to refer you to the
  following:

   "The mission of the HTML Working Group ... is to continue the
    evolution of HTML"

  and

   "The HTML Working Group will actively pursue convergence
    with WHATWG"

  There is, so far and to my knowledge, no decision made as to
  use the WHATWG WA1 as the base for a future, incremental,
  revision of HTML - indeed 'HTML 4.1' might be a better goal
  for now, and well within the charter.

  Therefore it is jumping the gun to suggest that browsers WILL
  or SHOULD implement WA1.

  Once the new WG has, with the assistance of the community
  /at large/ and including work already done by the WHATWG, produced
  a draft document, then reference
  implementations should be created.

 (If there DO exist a formal decision from the W3C on using the
  WA1 draft document as basis for the new HTML revision, regardless
  of which revision-number it will end up with, I would quite
  appreciate a link to the appropriate WD on the W3C site.)

--
 - Tina Holmboe