Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:12:11 +0300
Cc: www-html@w3.org
To: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>

On Apr 22, 2007, at 16:43, David Woolley wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 2007, at 16:52, David Woolley wrote:
>
>> I see no mention of "src" in the parsing section. Perhaps you are
>> confusing the conformance requirements on the DOM shapes with the
>
> I'm referring to:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-
> scripting0.html#script1

That section does not deal with parsing at all. It deals with the
processing model and with document conformance on the DOM shape level.

>>> I think that either the script start tules need to change to
>>> special case <script src=....,
>> The spec needs to reflect what browsers already do here.
>
> The claim on the lynx-dev list was that a real problem was being
> caused because, unamed popular browsers were treating <script
> src=.... /> as empty, whereas Lynx was eating the following code in
> CDATA mode.

WebKit trunk, Firefox trunk and Opera 9.10 do not exhibit the
behavior suggested for Lynx.

Firefox 2 doesn't treat <script/> as empty due to the slash.
Regardless of the slash, it treats a stray <script> start tag as
empty if it hits EOF before a </script>.

In general, it does not.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi