Re: [XHTML1.1] Error in Conformance Definition document?

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:32:10 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> I find it funny that the "native" XHTML is supposed to be "application"
> when the vast majority of web content is static text information and not

In my experience, most content is actually applications, although the
most common application is a custom web browser, just for the site!
Look at the ratio of scripting to content (especially if you exclude
styling from content.

However, I do suspect that the very early adopters of XHTML 2 will
actually produce documents that are readable as plain text, so would
deserve a text/ media type.  The next wave will be the fashion driven ones.

If you can easily read the datastream in a plain text editor, it is
text/*; if you really can only sensibly read it in a browser, it is
application/*.