Re: [XHTML1.1] Error in Conformance Definition document?

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:14:34 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

Paul Nelson (ATC):
> If you are making a simple web page do you really want the user to be
> setting MIME type of "application/xhtml+xml"?

If he is using any kind of XML dialect he should send his document
with some kind of XML MIME type. That said, "application/xhtml+xml"
would not have been my primary choice for XHTML, but something
beginning with "text/" instead, not plain "text/html" though.

> It seems that "text/html" or creating a MIME type of "text/xhtml"
> for well formed requirement would be a better option.

The latter might have been -- past tense, lost battle.

The former, however, was never an option, because it effectively
means "tag soup" for pretty much every implementation, whereas XML
promises straight-forward parsing. Introducing a new MIME type was
the right call. XHTML 1.0 Appendix C had good intentions behind, but
proved counter-productive. XHTML 1.1 got it right and should not be
worsened now.

Either you want X(HT)ML or you don't. Everything else does harm in
one way or another.