Re: Order attribute for lists

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:52:17 +1000
To: Barry <barry@polisource.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Barry wrote:
> Floated list items are rendered left to right, which isn't the way most
> people read lists. When the ul tag is used but the list still "ordered"
> (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2005Jun/0011.html )
> it's preferable for each column of a multicolumn list (a list with
> floated li elements) to be ordered from top to bottom.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  Are you floating the li elements
in a way that achieves to columns of list items, like this?

1. item one    2. item two
3. item three  4. item four

However, you actually want a way for it to be rendered like this:

1. item one    3. item three
2. item two    4. item four

If so, that's a presentational issue to be handled by a style sheet.  In
fact, it can already be achieved better using CSS3 Multi-column layout
properties [1].  Unfortunately, support for it is currently limited.
AFAIK, Mozilla has some support for it already.

> I think that floating list items is one of the few if not the only style
> that could change semantics inappropriately.

Styling does not change semantics, it only affects the way the content
is perceived.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/

--
Lachlan Hunt