Re: WHY not allowtransparency attribute?? please explain

At 11:01 AM +0200 9/20/06,
in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2006Sep/0027.html
Clifton Grep wrote:
>I really dont undersand why you guys do not allow the allowtransparency
>attribute! (in XHTML transitional)

interesting issue. For my part this sounds like we should seek the
attention of the Compound Document Formats WG on this one.

this transparency property is part of the contract between the whole
page and the contents of the IFRAME.

While in Compound Documents by Reference we had to accept that the
latitude of the server in satisfying 'recover' requests for a URI
means that we can't assume that natural language (e.g. xml:lang )
properties will inherit into subdocuments, the realities of the
graphic pasteup are that it is indeed possible and natural to inherit
a background from the parent document.

Should the IFRAME construct always allow transparency, and it is up
to the child document to impose opacity? One could argue that forcing
opacity is presentation control just as much as selecting
transparency.

It's one (good) thing to say that the display of captions defaults
the background to opaque black, and quite another thing to say that
the use of an IFRAME forces an opaque background.

Has the CDF group thought about this sort of thing? Is there a
working hypothesis as to what should happen?

Al