Re: Metadata (was: Re: Number, Date, Time, Quantity)

On Sep 8, 2006, at 12:02, Peter Krantz wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 09:48:43 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
> wrote:
>>
>> But are the advantages more valuable than the cost of the human
>> effort to put the metadata there? Are the advantages reaped by the
>> same parties who bear the cost? What incentives do authors have to
>> meticulously mark up their documents?
>>

> I am not sure I understand. Are you asking for a general answer for
> all markup situations?

In this case I meant only the markup under discussion, but the point
is valid for any markup or metadata in general.

> Of course there is an advantage in all cases
> where the author want to use metadata markup. You do it for a purpose.

All too often discussions of metadata is focused on *possibility*
*expressing* things rather than considering the economics and
incentives of *actually* expressing things and *consuming* the
expressions.

My experience from involvement in a couple of ambitious government-
funded metadata projects, which involved reading specs from other
projects, suggests that disproportionately focusing on the
possibility of expressing things as opposed to the practical
consumption of the expressions is the direction that all metadata
specs take unless carefully kept in check.

Moreover, you mention the author wanting to use the metadata. If the
author uses the metadata within his/her closed system, the benefit of
a standard is confined to potential availability of off-the-shelf
tools for private use and incidental effects on the Web as a whole.
The general search engine argument assumes that the metadata is
targeted at the public Web from the outset.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi