Re: XHTML 1.1 DTD

Hi Tim,

On Oct 7, 2006, at 21:53 , Tim HEAP wrote:
> For some reason my password for Bugzilla hasn't arrived, so I'm
> sending this by email:

Odd, if I remember correctly, you choose your bugzilla password
yourself, you don't receive it by email.

> The validator appears to use a superseded DTD for XHTML 1.1

I don't think it does. It uses the DTD from the XHTML 1.1
recommendation, which has not (as far as I know) been updated since
its publication in 2001.

> I'm guessing that it uses a copy of
> has an id attribute which is missing in the flat version, and
> which the validator does not accept.  The same is true for
> script  ...

As far as I can tell from
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/xhtml11_dtd.html#a_xhtml11_dtd
xhtml11-flat.dtd *is* the DTD suggested by the recommendation for
validation, and the prose seems to mean that it is equivalent to the
modular version.

If your analysis is correct, it could mean that there is a mistake in
the xhtml11-flat DTD. I am copying in this reply the www-html mailing-
list, where I hope experts on HTML will be able to confirm whether or
not there is an issue with the DTDs.

We can of course change the DTDs the validator uses, but I'd rather
make sure that there is no problem with the spec first.

Thank you!
--
olivier