Re: [XHTML] @show on <a/>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Quoting Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@tigerstaden.no>:
>
>> Notice which section of the HTML specification 'target' is described
>> in.  That's right -- the Frames section. XHTML 1.1 doesn't have
>> Frames. Neither  will XHTML 2.0. @target is deprecated and doesn't
>> exist in neither HTML  4.01 Strict nor XHTML 1.0 Strict. Its use is
>> prescribed and is behavioural.
>

> That was a mistake. We need "target" at least for <object>.

Why?

If it's for the same reason that target currently exists and you're
planning on using <object> like an iframe, then no, that's wrong.

Links are for moving from one resource to another. <object> is for
external data that is part of the current resource. If you're changing
the source of the <object> data, then you're changing the current
resource, and it belongs in the realm of javascript.

("Resource" here meaning the same thing it does in URL/URI)

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>