Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

--- "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Tina Holmboe wrote:
> > On 23 Jun, Jonathan Worent wrote:
> >
> >> Currently CSS is the only way to achieve more
> than two
> >> levels of emphasis. I don't know of any browsers
> >
> >   Neither currently, nor in the future*, can CSS
> do any such thing.
> >   There is no way to indicate emphasis using a
> stylesheet.
>
> I'm sure he meant "*visually* indicate/achieve".

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke

Yes, Patrick you're correct. There seems to have been
some confusion in what I meant. I am suggesting that
we need a way to semantically describe multiple levels
of emphasis in (x)html. It will then be up to the
browsers to represent those levels. I'm also
suggesting that we need a way to markup de-emphasis.

Let me explain what I meant when I said we have to
rely on css for more than 2 levels of emphasis.

Take this code:
<strong class="level2">words</em> to illustrate a
<strong class="level3">point</em>.

Whithout CSS <strong class="level2"> and <strong
class="level3"> are treated equally. If I want one
emphasized more than the other I must use CSS to
indicate this. Then if the CSS is ignored they are no
longer emphesized differently. I really believe this
needs to be explicit in the markup.