Re: Identifying end tags

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:16:42 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> I really don't see the benefit here, other than for the author - which
> shouldn't be a consideration when it comes to the construction of the
> language, IMHO.

And appears to have been rejected by the number of authors unnecessarily
moving to XHTML, which doesn't allow the omission of close tags in some
contexts.  One common reason given for going to XHTML is that it does
force you to balance tags, whereas, a common feature with labelled open
tags is that a corresponding close tag short circuits any nested close
tags, at least for anonymous ones.

More generally, I do tend to the view that large nesting levels is
indicative of design for presentation, rather than design for
structure.