Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

Hi,

1) Concerning the levels of emphasis, the current XHTML 1.x allows
imbrications of several <strong> and/or <em> tags. Although I
am not aware of any browser taking advantage per default of this fact, you
can perfectly create a CSS style to render
<strong>test</strong>, and this is in my opinion easier than with
various levels. Furthermore, this existing behaviour is imho stronger than
the proposed level attribute, when considering longer
sentences, where the default text is at level 0, a part of the sentence at
level 1 and one word at level 2:

important</strong>!</p>

Then in CSS, you could have something such as:

  p {
   font-size:medium;
   voice-volume:soft;
  }
  strong {
   font-size:120%
   voice-volume:200%;
  }

Tested with success with Opera 9 (using -xv-voice-volume:).

2) In my understanding, <strong> and <em> have two different semantic
meanings. I usually use <strong> to highlight something
more important than the rest of the text, and <em> to highlight something
that is different (e.g. strange, not expected, funny,
different context...) than the rest of the text. For me, making an analogy
with the human voice, or CSS speech, <strong> would
be the loudness (voice-volume), while <em> would be the style of the voice
(e.g. voice-pitch).

Cordially,
Alexandre
http://alexandre.alapetite.net