Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-text.html#edef_text_strong>

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-text.html#edef_text_em>

> > element indicates emphasis for its contents.
>
> I suggest to the HTML WG to rephrase this
> accordingly to <strong>’s
> definition, in order to make it more clear that <em>
> elements can also
> be nested to indicate higher emphasis, similar to
> <strong>. More
> specifically, I suggest the following phrasing:
>
> “The em

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-text.html#edef_text_em>
> element
> indicates higher emphasis for its contents than that
> of the surrounding
> content.”
Ok I'm beginning to come around about this. Nesting
the elements is a sufficient way to represent
increasing levels of emphasis. However, and this is
still a major point in my mind, there is still no way
to indicate de-emphasis. First of all its just makes
sense that if you can increase emphasis above normal,
there should be a way to decrease emphasis below
normal, It's kind of a what goes up must come down
kinda thing :)

I agree with your (re)phrasing of em. If it is decided
that nesting is the best approach to indicate
different levels of emphasis (as I said previously,
this does not allow for de-emphasis), I would suggest
that it be explicitly expressed that nesting elements
increases the emphasis (or importance for strong).