Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#attribute-selectors).

(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1)
> "EM: indicates emphesis. STRONG: Indicates stronger
> emphesis.

I must apologize. I quoted the wrong documentation.
The XHTML 2.0 spec does <strong> and <em> different
semantics.
"The em element indicates emphasis for its contents."
"The strong element indicates higher importance for
its contents than that of the surrounding content."

After reading this I think both <strong> and <em> can
benefit from the level attribute. <em>, as already
stated, would use it to indicate different levels of
emphesis including de-emphesis. If <strong> indicates
greater importance, than there should be something to
indicate how much more important as well as a
mechanism to indicate less importance. A level
attribute would do this very well.

<20060620184253.1793.qmail@web32204.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
> > To: www-html@w3.org
> >
> > I would like to suggest a change to the way
> empehsis
> > is coded. Instead of
> > either <strong> and <em> I suggest
> > $lt;em
> > level="#">. "#" Represents the level of emphesis
> > either positivly or
> > negatively. It would need to be agreed upon a
> limit
> > the levels for obvious reasons. I suggest 5.
> >

> > Currently there are only two levels of emphesis.
> If
> > you want to give
> > something more or less emphesis you have to use
> css.
> > To get
> > the proper effect you must account for that both
> > visually and auraly. But
> > what happens if the css is ignored? You're back to
> > two
> > levels of emphesis and you lose the desired
> effect.
> >
> > I suggest negitive levels to allow de-emphesis.
> > Something that is
> > currently lacking.
> >
> > As an example lest say you are writing out a
> > transcript of a podcast (as
> > per the WCAG) There is no way to mark-up if
> > something
> > is whispered, empesized, or yelled.
> >
> > Also, strong is just a stronger emphesis. Its
> > redundant to have multiple
> > tags.

protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com