Re: code and blockcode

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:49:32 +0200
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
David Woolley schreef:
>> preformatted, such as plain-text email messages or a textfile in XHTML
> The textfile should be a separate text/plain resource.  For the email
> messages it's more arguable as to whether they should or should not be
> message/rfc822 objects.

Well, it depends on where you want to use it, I think.

This is one case where I included it in an HTML page (with a ‘viewer’

That file by the way also very well illustrates the need for
preformatted text. You can also find even better examples if you browse
through the files at http://map.tni.nl/resources/, a lot of them are
taken from textfiles and transformed to HTML, but retain parts in
preformatted text from the original where it is needed. E.g. see
http://map.tni.nl/resources/dos2_environment.php#c2_3 and
http://map.tni.nl/resources/msxbios.php#PCMPLY (although I admit some
other uses of preformatted text could have better been ‘translated’
better with a table, but never mind that, call it a ‘partial’
transformation if you will).

> PS Your "ASCII" Art wasn't ASCII!

Arguably, it wasn’t ‘art’ either.