Re: HTML 4.01 Specification seems to have a Table variable just not there

From: scsijon <scsijon@net2000.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:10:11 +1100
To: www-html@w3.org

At 09:04 PM 15/01/2006, David Dorward wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 20:30 +1100, scsijon wrote:
> > 1- The HTML spec can't reside on it's own, as i was told it was
> > suppose to be able to do, when I learn't it.
>
>It can stand on its own. It might not be able to achieve the
>presentational effects that you desire, but presentation isn't the job
>of HTML in the first place. It describes structure, semantics and
>relationships with other resources.

that wasn't taught to us, but makes sense.

> > 2- I now have to learn CSS, something I have no idea about other than
> > as a name!
>
>We all have to start somewhere.

agree

do you have a recomended text for a beginner?

> > 3- I am expected to rewrite code that IS complete (and works) except
> > for a SINGLE missing attribute, that I expected to be there as it's
> > alternate (width) IS in the specification.
>
>... and marked as deprecated and to be avoided.

not mentioned as depreciated on my downloaded copy?
align is depreciated but not width.

Just as a thought, what is the release date you are working from? The
one I downloaded from w3 is called HTML 4.01 Specification, the file
is html40.pdf , dated 24 dec 1999.

getting more than a bit confused here.
scsijon