Re: Modularization question

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, patomas . wrote:

>    Some time ago, i was making some tests and a document with this DTD was
> registered as a valid document:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus Target 1.0//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

That would be odd. When did W3C announce such a formal public identifier?

As far as I've understood XML specs correctly, a processor may ignore the
FPI and use the URL, which here means using the XHTML 1.1 document type
definition.

>    Now, i was checking the same old document and the w3c validator reports
> it as invalid.

When I tried to validate a simple document with such a DOCTYPE
declaration, using direct input option, the validator indeed says

This page is not Valid -//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus Target 1.0//EN!

which is absurd. The validator does not actually use a document type
definition with that FPI (it does not exist), yet it echoes it here.
This has been discussed previously. The validator _should_ say that the
page is valid or is not valued. Well, it could add "as an SGML document"
or "as an XML document", but nothing more.

>    Ther is no way thru modularization to validate frames, targets and
> similar things?

In practical authoring, modularization and XHTML are mostly exercises in
futility; frames and targets are worse. Combining the two looks
undescribably pointless to me.