Re: Will spacing issue after italics EVER be addressed?

Bonnie Granat wrote:
> It's hard to believe that by 2006 there has been no manner of ensuring that
> extra space in inserted after an italicized word in HTML text.

I just wanted to add to the whole discussion that it's possible
already to add space after every italicized portion of text if the
UA (a.k.a. browser) supports CSS version 2.

Just add following CSS declarations inside the <head> element in
your source:

em:after,i:after { cont_ent: "\200B\00A0"; }
/*
	U+200B is zero width space
	U+00A0 is no-breaking space
	or you might also use
	U+2002 en space
	U+2003 em space
	U+2009 thin space
	U+200A hair space

	for example:
	em:after,i:after { content: "\200A"; }

*/

And you're done. Perhaps I should mention that Microsoft Internet
Explorer doesn't support CSS 2... Mozilla, Firefox, Opera and Safari
do, though.

Did I mention that this is still a bad idea? IF the user's UA does
work correctly, you end up adding extra space that shouldn't be there.

--
Mikko