Re: [XHTML] @show on <a/>

From: Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:37:11 +0100
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
CC: www-html@w3.org

I'm not saying that we should necessarily call it @show
> I'm not sure if rel and rev are still in XHTML 2.0, but it seems to me that these
> existing attributes should be able to encode the necessary information,
> although one might then need a style/behaviour sheet to specify which
> relationships are close enough to justify replace
Yes, that's a possibility.
>  (noting, though, that it is bad practice for authors to decide when the user gets a new window).
The author doesn't *decide* that a new window/tab gets opened, he merely
signals that it might be wise for the client to do so, because the link
breaks the flow of the page (i.e. a full sized version of an image shown
in the document.)
>> values), to the <a/> element? I think it is natural for the author of a
>> document to specify whether a hyperlink target deviates from the flow of
> My experience is its only natural for the author to specify behaviour and
> using whatever hacks work with current popular browsers.
That's why I'm proposing a way for the author to specify *intent*, and
signal that a given behavior is wise.