Re: hreflang

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:12:56 +1100
To: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
CC: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, www-html@w3.org

Tina Holmboe wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 04:48:27PM +0100, Laurens Holst wrote:
>
>>> I disagree. Accept-Language would be one of the most important
>>> features of an user agent *if* it contained real information.
>> It does. It is frequently used by websites such as hotmail, Google,
>> mozilla-europe.org and other large sites to present the user with a
>
>   In the case of Google, this is sadly not true.

Actually, Google do make use of Accept-Language in some cases, although
it seems that in the case of English, they make use of other heuristics
(such as the IP address) to guess.

I tried adding both Chinese (zh) and German (de) to the top of my
language list, then deleted cookies, and in each case, I received that
language from the Google sites I visited including google.com,
google.com.au, google.se and google.no.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/