Re: Keeping the structure, Moving the meaning Re: samp, kbd, var

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:24:08 +0900
To: XHTML-Liste <www-html@w3.org>

Le 25 août 06 à 15:32, David Woolley a écrit :
>> The original SGML specification is in front of my eyes right now and
> I suspect that you don't actually mean the SGML specification, but
> rather
> the DTD for one of the W3C languages.  Not having paid for the real
> specification, I don't know if it says much about intended uses, but
> my perception is that the typical intended use was for things like
> Electronic Data Interchange, where the detailed structure of a
> business
> document, like an invoice or bill of lading, would be marked up,
> or for documents to be placed into an indexing system, where it
> would be
> important to identify things like addresses.

SGML defines a mechanism to create markup languages, exactly like XML.
HTML is about Text with links.
An HTML specification tries to define the nature of a text aka

> What I've seen as typical examples of roles, many of which actually
> represent primary structure, like navigation bars, are things that
> would need to marked by elements in the above sorts of SGML
> applications.  It's actually things like strong/bold that wouldn't -
> in fact, in EDI, I doubt they would have any presence at all.

The discussion is about role/property attributes, not only role.

It's another issue which has been raised
The spec is not very clear about the proper role of each attribute.

It seems reading the specification that "property" is the right
attribute for the proposal.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***