Re: Extending "Short" or "Shallow" Webpages to Effect Jumps to Anchors Within

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:46:36 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> You didn't need to use <a> as the location where to jump to since HTML3
> Starting in HTML4, you can use any element.
> Also, the name attribute was replaced with the id attribute, so name
> isn't even needed in the above.

However, you should do both of these things to preserve graceful
degradation to earlier browsers.

Really though, this topic, to the extent that I actually understood the
original article, is off topic, because HTML only has to specify what
the construct means.  It is up to the user agents to implement the the
user interface aspects of the construct well, which may mean leaving
blank space below the end of the document, or highlighting the target
in some way.