Re: XHTML2 and JS ads

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:50:43 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> Do you think by the time XHTML 2.0 ready for use (use your own term,
> public release, stable release, whatever) ad services such as Google and
> Clicksor will have XHTML2-compatible ads?  Right now their ads aren't
> compatible with application/xhtml+xml

I don't believe that XHTML 2 is aimed at the commercial web site
market.  If it were, it ought to have a specific element for
advertisements [A].   I think it is aimed at the intra- and extra-net
markets and particularly for the sort of company that is based on
knowledge which is not finely structured in the way that a sales
catalogue is structured.

> Also, does anyone have any idea of when XHTML 2.0 will be ready for
> public use?

I think when people given the limited time they have for the project,
think it is well structured and self consistent.  Although I imagine
it will become a CV must-have item, it may well not belong on many
of those CVs.

[A] the advertisers may object to this because it makes it easy to
mechanically delete the adverts, but, otherwise, advertising isn't
consistent with a language which has correct, if simple, represenation
of structure as a goal, as it is striving to break the structure to
prevent its being ignored.