Re: CSS Borders

From: Lorenzo De Tomasi <lorenzo.detomasi@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:44:04 +0200
To: "Truly Blessed" <tumkho@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

I think that the correct mailing list for this thread is
www-style@w3.org (in Cc:)

What about creating an attribute for border position?
It's typical in professional Dtp software like Adobe InDesign, Illustrator ecc.
ie:
* border-outside
* border-middle
* border-inside

If you have a box 100*100pt with a 2pt border, using:
* border-outside, the border wil be rendered outside the box, which
becomes 104*104pt. In the intermittent border styles, through the gaps
you see the background color of the <body>.
* border-inside, the border wil be rendered inside the box, which
mantains its original dimensions (100*100pt ). In the intermittent
border styles, through the gaps you see the background color of the
box.
* border-middle, the border wil be rendered centered on each side of
the box, which becomes 101*101pt. In the intermittent border styles,
through the gaps you see both the background color of the <body> (1pt)
 and the background color of the box (1pt).

You could also sum border-inside and border-outside attributes,
creating 2 color borders.

What do you think?

Best regards