Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:55:24 +0200
To: "Lance Carlson" <lancecarlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>, www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:47:46 +0200, Lance Carlson <lancecarlson@gmail.com>
wrote:
> It would be even cooler if you could use the :hover selector to define
> the src of an attribute. This would make DHTML layers completely
> obscolete.
> Think about how beautiful that be... to express in CSS.

That's already possible.

   http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

... is the oldest example I know that does exactly that. The problem with
that is that :hover is input device specific. Without a mouse or
equivalent device (often not available on mobile phones for example) you
won't be able to access any of the submenus...

> THAT would be sweet. On the same token you could use src to change the
> image  if your menus were images.

That's already possible. (Although a bit different from how you describe
it.)

  http://wellstyled.com/css-nopreload-rollovers.html

... is one of the better examples I believe.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>