RE: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

Hello all,

It is proposed in XHTML 2 that @src be available for use anywhere in a
document [1], and that it's behaviour is to allow fallback:

      An image of us on holiday.

When using only one level, I can see it making sense that all the mark-up is
in the document:

    An image of us on holiday.

since in this case the text "An image of us on holiday" can usefully be used
by the browser, even if the image is successfully loaded.

However, when we start to have images that are fallbacks for other images,
it seems to me that the CSS approach is much better; you could hopefully
define in a stylesheet that if image A fails to load, regardless of where it
appears in the document, then use image B instead. It keeps the mark-up much
neater, since you may have any number of nestings.

I think we probably need both techniques, but I'm cross-posting here because
it would obviously be very good if they were somehow related to each other,
perhaps by defining the 'default styling' for elements with @src. This might
require some tweaking to the CSS definitions, which is why I'm flagging it
up.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Mark