Re: XHTML: Suggestion to add a attribute for multi language documents

Jukka K. Korpela schreef:
> I'm afraid language markup is a lost cause.

 From that point of view, hasn’t by now the Internet shown you that
*any* kind of markup is a lost cause? Seriously, if there’s anything
that the Google statistics showed, then it’s that people just mess
around and any mistake that can be made is made, and grossly so.

> It is in reality much more reliable to deduce the language from the
> actual content, heuristically.

Seems that nowadays some think heuristics are the answer to all
problems. Heuristically determine language. Heuristically determine
content type. I’m afraid that in practice it will turn out that that
doesn’t work either, and certainly isn’t interoperable.

Let’s not mark up our text documents either, why shouldn’t the browser
heuristically determine the semantics, and the styling, too! Oh, and
let’s use OCR on images instead of depending on the alt text. Authors
will get it wrong anyway.

> It works with a handful of specialized browsers. The problem is that
> the vast majority of pages don't do language markup, or do it _wrong_,
> so even the small number of people using those browsers don't benefit
> much. This in turn means that there's little motivation to authors to
> use language markup.

The main problem is that page authors don’t see what they’re marking up.
For something to be used in a correct manner, authors need to be able to
notice that something is wrong.

Let me give an example. At work, yesterday, while updating the content
the CEO came to me and said that the ‘tooltip text’ of an image was
wrong. Of course, this was the alt text that was showing up in Internet
Explorer. Point being, because the normally ‘hidden’ markup is made
visible, the quality of the document improved.

Now I’m not directly advocating for showing the alt text, the problem is
much broader anyway, but I think instead of doing everything
heuristically, I think to improve the markup we rather need to make
tools which properly visualise *all* aspects of the document, not just
the usual visible parts, and also have integrated audible tools which
help with quickly detecting errors in language markup, alt and other
kinds of markup (think tables).

There is also a role for browser vendors to play here, not just for
authoring tools. I’d say *especially* for browser vendors, as their
products are usually the main tool documents are authored with. The
speech thing in Opera is a nice example of this, it may seem a bit silly
but such tools could be a great help to authors improving the quality of
their documents.

But it’s not integrated enough with people’s browsing process yet, and
only available in one minority browser (and I actually don’t know how
well it handles other languages). To popularize this, it needs a ‘killer
application’. If the masses would e.g. pick up voice-controlled
browsing, and letting a browser read up web pages, the markup would
improve instantly. But that’s of course the key to make any markup be
used, make it useful to the majority of people.

~Grauw