Re: [html] "title" text semantics, and "minor" element discussion

Hi Jukka, Jens,

At 15:02 18/10/2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Jens Meiert wrote:
>
>>But screenreaders, for example, read the title, so doesn't it definitely
>>make sense to allow e.g. "abbr" elements for abbreviations, addressed and
>>"styled" via "speech" media type?
>
>No. It is generally unsound to assume that every abbreviation should be
>expanded when read aloud.

Jens's question was originally about the title element, and about
abbreviations and acronyms inside title. Providing the expanded form of an
abbreviation inside <title> seems acceptable to me.

>You would surely not want to listen to a document that discusses XHTML so
>that each and every occurrence of "XHTML"
>is spelled out as "Extensible Hypertext Markup Language".

I agree.

The current XHTML 2 Working Draft says about <abbr>:
"The title or full attributes may be used to provide the full or expanded
form of the expression. Such an attribute should be repeated each time the
abbreviation is defined in the document." [1]
"Should" is not a strong requirement but I would like to see it softened
anyhow.
WCAG 1.0 requires that the expansion should be specified at the first
occurrence of the abbreviation or acronym [2] and that is very reasonable.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-text.html#sec_9.1.
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-abbreviated-and-foreign

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe