Re: [html] "title" text semantics, and "minor" element discussion

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:54:22 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

Hi Jukka and Jens,

At 14:14 18/10/2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Jens Meiert wrote:
>>* In general, why ain't it allowed to include markup within the "title"
>>element [1], what's the historical background?
>If you look at the good old HTML 2.0 specification, you can see some of
>the intended uses of the content of the <title> element. Many of them
>involve treating the content as plain text. It is probably better that you
>directly write it as plain text, rather than let some software
>transmogrify it into plain text.

I don't expect a change to "title" in HTML 4 or XHTML 1.x, but the ability
to mark up changes in natural language in "title" has been requested for
XHTML 2.0.

>>* Also in general, why is there no way to designate rather "unimportant"
>Do you want the real answer or a good explanation? The real answer is
>being important was not really important.
>>I can use "em" and "strong" for emphasis,
>introduced just as clones of <i> and <b> for academicians. The official
>story is different, but you may make some conclusions from the fact that
>- there is no real semantic definition for <em> and <strong>
>   (e.g., how they relate to each other, and what does it mean
>   to nest them?)

The same kind of definition is still lacking from the current draft of
XHTML 2 [1]:
"The em element indicates emphasis for its contents."
"The strong element indicates higher importance for its contents than that
of the surrounding content."

>- nobody cared to add markup for "unimportant" or "de-emphasis",
>   despite the obvious need as soon as you start thinking semantically.

This could still be added to the Text Module of XHTML 2. I forgot to add this
to my own comments on the current Working Draft [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-text.html

Christophe Strobbe

Christophe Strobbe
Document Architectures