Re: FW: Divorcing Presentation from Content - a prototype.

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:23:42 +1100
To: Sunil <sunilgupta@btopenworld.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Sunil wrote:
> Hi, I've knocked together some javascript code that pushes the
> responsibility for merging the content with
> the presentation of a web page to the browser. Its only a prototype at the
> moment and runs on firefox, but
> as a proof of concept it shows how it could be done.
>
> the project page is
> 	http://sdpml.mozdev.org/
>
> and a working prototype can be found at
> 	http://www.paglis.co.uk/sdpml/index.html

There are serious accessibility issues with this.  I got nothing when I
visited with JS off, CSS on.  Turning off CSS reveals the previously
hidden list of file names with no useful content at all.  Also, HTML has
a method of including one document within another on the client side
called <object>, which your script could make use of instead of just a
list of file names as it appears to.

You may also want to take a look at HTMLOverlays.
http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/20040830/HTMLoverlays.html

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/