Re: Flexible table/grid

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:44:54 +0000
To: Markus Jonsson <carnaby@passagen.se>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 04:35:29PM +0100, Markus Jonsson wrote:

> Shouldn't there be a Grid element, similar to the GtkIconView of the
> GTK+ toolkit?

GTK is a toolkit for building GUIs.

HTML is a language for describing the semantics, structure and
relationships of documents.

When doing layout in a GUI it makes sense to be able to specify "a
grid", but that doesn't really have a place in HTML.

Presentation of markup documents is handled by stylesheets.

> Unlike a TABLE, you wouldn't have to specify rows and columns. The
> number of cols/rows would be rearranged automatically due to the
> measures of the container.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here, but it sounds like
a description of the inline-block display type.