Accesskeys

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:47:17 -0000
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Hi,

I'd just like to add my support to John Foliot's request about access
keys:
http://www.wats.ca/articles/xhtmlroleaccessmodulestillflawed/80

I work for a company that regularly usability tests sites with people
who have disabilities, covering a wide range of sites, technologies and
skills. We have never come across a positive example of accesskeys[*],
and I wrote about this myself some time ago:
http://www.nomensa.com/resources/articles/access-keys.html

Just to add one further point, the only useful implementation of access
keys I have come across is on the accessify site:
http://accessify.com/preferences/accesskeys/

This gives control to the user over what keys are used - something that
can and should be covered by future standards in the way John describes.

I consider myself and my company to be advocates of the W3C (and we will
continue to be regardless of this issue), so please don't take this as
criticism, just a nudge in the right direction.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

* I've heard of (but not tested) accesskey implementations on intranet
based web applications, and for people who use an application a lot
there are obvious advantages where learning can overcome ease of use.
However, these would still be catered for under the proposed changes.

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Research & Development

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html