src actuation

Hi Anne,

That's a very good question.

Le 05-11-14 à 08:06, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
> # <p xmlns="..." src="screen.css" type="text/css">A nice paragraph</p>
>
> Would this show a text/css document similar as happens today with
> html:object or
> would styles get applied? Completely unclear. Same question applies
> to:
>
> # <style src="screen.css" type="text/css" xmlns="..."/>

What kind of things can be “loaded” by an src attribute

resources which do something
    * CSS which is supposed to apply on an element, with a local
scope (XML tree)?
	or to the whole document?
    * Javascript. (Scope?)

resources which are passive
    * images
    * sounds
    * movies

unclear to me too
    * SVG, SMIL Animations, etc.
    * RDF document like an RSS 1.0. Should you show the content of
the file or if the browser has an internal RSS reader shows a mini
RSS reader in the XHTML document? etc.

Right now, the specification is far to be clear on the topic.

[[[
src = URI
     This attribute specifies the location of an external source for
the contents of the element. Actuation occurs as the default action
of a [DOM] load event for the element that the attribute occurs on.

     What happens if the src fails

     If the src attribute target is not available, the contents of
the element are processed. Is there a DOM event that is raised in
this context as well?

     At the Dulles f2f we discussed the possibility of relying upon
DOM events to raise these - but ensure that XHTML refers to DOM
events for any elements / attributes that have behaviors in addition
to semantics.
]]]
-- XHTML 2.0 - XHTML Embedding Attributes Module
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-
embedding.html#adef_embedding_src
Fri, 27 May 2005 21:57:41 GMT

btw is it me or there's a bug in the specification?

	srctype  versus  type

[[[
srctype = ContentTypes

     This attribute specifies the allowable content types of the
resource referenced by the relevant src URI.

     Example

     <script src="pop" type="application/x-javascript, text/x-
newspeak" />
]]]
-- XHTML 2.0 - XHTML Embedding Attributes Module
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-
embedding.html#adef_embedding_src
Fri, 27 May 2005 21:57:41 GMT

W3C Conformance Manager