Re: [Structure Module] Renaming the <html> element to more semantic name

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:12:32 +0900, Rimantas Liubertas <ic@rimantas.com> wrote:

> Кудабуло wrote:
>  > On 11/13/05, Rimantas Liubertas <ic@rimantas.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >>You can look at <html> as a shortcut for "html document".
>  >
>  > Hm? "HTML documents" don't exist. Web-page in HTML is a "hypertext
> document".
>  >
>  >

> Indeed? I always thought that document marked up using HTML can be
> called "HTML document" for short.
>
> How about this:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22html%20document%22%20site%3Aw3.org&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>
> And by the way, how is XML document, which also does not exist, should
> be called?
>
> Regards,
> Rimantas
> --
> http://rimantas.com/

XHTML and XML are on the different layers. I say, "This document is an XML document" or "This document is an XML document, particularly using the XHTML vocabulary". The objective and purpose of the vocabulary is to describe documents. This is constant even if the name of the vocabulary was not HTML.

We markup a title with <title/> just because it is a "title". I think we should markup a document with <document/> just because it is a "document" in terms of the meanings of the content.

--
Ai (ja-JP;q=9, en-US;q=6)

The Eller College of Management, The University of Arizona