Re: p in address tag?

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@tigerstaden.no>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 13:31:00 +0100
To: David Dorward <david@us-lot.org>, www-html@w3.org

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:51:39 +0100, David Dorward <david@us-lot.org> wrote:

> <address>
>   Page Author's Name <br>
>   Page Author's Street Address <br>
>   Page Author's Town <br>
>   Page Author's Post Code
> </address>

I'm sorry to say it, but this sucks, structurally at least. With XHTML
2.0's <l> element it gets better, but not allowing block level elements
inside <address> is neither intuitive nor useful. Even <address>'s meaning
baffles me. The HTML 4.01 spec says:

# The ADDRESS element may be used by authors to supply contact information
# for a document or a major part of a document such as a form. This element
# often appears at the beginning or end of a document.

How often have you seen <address> inside a <form>? And why can't you use
it for contact information to a whole website? And shouldn't the contents
of <address> be specified a bit more detailed? Wouldn't it be useful to be
able to mark up a list (UL or OL) of people to contact for a given HTML
document or website?

To me, the <address> element seems under-specified and not suited for the
kind of information you'd actually like to put on a web page. And I know
I'm not alone with that opinion.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/