Re: line breaks in XHTML 2.0

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Microsoft Word uses zero width non-joiner when you use Insert/Symbol
> to add a line break opportunity. This however is _not_ what
> ZWNJ means in Unicode. It suggests that characters before and after
> it should be joined cursively or as a ligature. It also _forbids_
> line break.

I was kindly informed off-list about my mistake here. I wrote that
ZWNJ suggests cursive or ligature joining, but I meant that it
_prevents_ such joining, as its name suggests. The zero width joiner ZWJ
suggests joining. In any case, both of these are meant to affect
typographic joining of characters.