Re: [XHTML 2] removal of navigation list element

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:39:32 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

> > Semantics of <dl>
> >
> > A definition list defines the relationship between text that the user
> > can identify (dictionary terms, faq questions, a key) and the text the
> > user desires (dictionary definitions, faq answers, a value).
>
> What would "the relationship" be? And why is the element named <dl> and
> not <relations> or something like that? What would the subelements be?

I never said we shouldn't rename it. I defined what the relationship
is. One is text the user/machine browses through for the purpose of
selection and the other is the text the user/machine is interested in.
The <dt> is text that can be easily parsed and identified. <dd> cannot
be.

> How would the meaning differ from markup where the "text that the user can
> identify" is marked up as a heading?

<h> is a special case, but it implies the same kind of relationship.
it's a list of these kinds of relationships and not a single item.

> Would the specification say that such markup is suitable for dialogs, too?

It might, but I'm not asserting that in this case. If the group
decides to go that route I would be ok with it. In that case it's a
repeating label useful for selecting the lines spoken by a particular
person or group. However it differs slightly from the others in that
it's a multiset and not a set relationship and is a bit fuzzier in
usage.

Orion Adrian

Orion Adrian