Re: [XHTML 2] removal of navigation list element

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Ernest Cline wrote:

> While the semantics of what exactly a <dl>
> is and should be used for is a matter of some contention, they
> serve a semantic propose that cannot be adequately handled
> by any other simple structure, namely that of indicating sets of
> relationships.

"Sets of relationships" sounds like an attempt at a (vague) semantic
definition. It would be completely different from the definition of <dl>
in current HTML, and in the XHTML 2.0 draft.

> Of course, you'd also have to use a goodly quantity of CSS to
> get anything approaching the default presentation of a <dl>,
> but that is of secondary importance to the semantic of
> relationship pairs.

What is the semantic of relationship pairs? If you defend <dl> on _such_
grounds, I think you should propose an exact formulation of the semantics,
instead of the "definition list" definition followed by prose that tells
it was just a joke. What relations are expressed, and between which
elements? Markup is all about relations; to refer to relationships in
general is semantically empty.

> Whether those pairs are of terms and
> definitions, questions and answers,  roles and dialogs, or
> any other pairs of relationships is of far lesser importance
> semantically.

But that's what _semantics_ is. "Relationship" is abstract, or
metasemantics. We could define the "semantics" of _any_ element by saying
that it describes relationships between its subelements; therefore such a
definition does not define semantics.

The definition should naturally also indicate the semantics of
(or say that these do not comply with the specification, on grounds of
some general syntactic rule to be formulated; whether the rule can be
formalized within a particular formalism is less relevant).