Re: About the new 2.0 tags

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 09:26:44 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 08:28:50AM -0400, dagobah1@optonline.net wrote:
> With all the news tags you plan on adding (<l>, <seperator>, etc.) how
> do you expect current browsers to render the new tags?

They don't, at least not directly. XSLT could be used to transform a
document to HTML 4.01 for serving to clients.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xhtml2-20040722/introduction.html#backCompat

> This looks like something only future browsers could handle, which
> would cause a problem.

There is likely to be a transitional period before browser support is
there. CSS 2 was released, IIRC, in 1998. The browser which is,
probably, most commonly used, still doesn't support very large chunks
of it. I'm not expecting to be using XHTML 2.0 on the client side
until at least 2015.