Re: Comments on the XHTML 2.0 WD

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>At least it should be named "description list", with subelements called
>"item" and "description" for example. It is absurd to say that <dt> means
>definition term and then tell people to use it to name a speaker.

If you ask me, <dt> and <dd> are unnecessary anyway.  Why not create a
"description" element for lists, and allow it in ANY list?  Using CSS,
one could make it disappear or display in a certain way, and then people
can add extra info about the list item if necessary instead of having to
use a whole separate thing if they want to do descriptions.  Especially
considering XHTML 2.0 expects you to use <li href=""> to do a hyperlink
in a navigation list now.

IMO, it should be possible to do:

<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <ld>Item 1 is the first item in this list.</ld>
    <li>Item 2</li>
    <ld>Item 2 is the second item in this list</ld>
</ul>

Admittedly, this is not a good example of how one would use the list.  A
better one would be something like this:

<nl>
    <li href="">First Link</li>
    <ld>This link takes you to the Home page of this site.</ld>
    <li href="">Second Link</li>
    <ld>This link takes you to the Sitemap.</ld>
</nl>

You could even put link subreferences in the <ld>'s, and thus create a
glossary for people who may not completely understand your terminology.
and <dd> (which, as has been mentioned, are actually semantically
incorrect, because not every use of a DL contains terms and descriptions).

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!