Re: separator/seperator Re: About XHTML 2.0

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Orion Adrian wrote:

> Are empty elements necessary bad? I have yet to see an argument
> against all empty elements.

Empty elements are symptoms of procedural markup. They are not bad as
such; procedural markup has its uses.

Empty elements crept into HTML due to hasty design and lack of structural
approach. This is explained in some detail at my
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html

> Now mind you I think <l> is better than <br /> because being able to
> address lines is important.

Quite right. It illustrates that semantic markup delineates _elements_
whereas empty element tags... well...

> However if you don't need to address something, then an empty element
> as a seperator works wonders.

Procedural markup can work wonders. But a "separator element"
is an oddity. Either it's procedural, and could mean "break a line"
or "page eject" or "pause" or "draw a horizontal line", or it's
structural markup in anomalous syntax: if <hr> is a separator between
elements, then
really means
with a strange element name and with many tags implied.