Re: About XHTML 2.0

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 16:31:36 +0200
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
CC: webmaster@eammm.com, www-html@w3.org, 'Dan Brickley' <danbri@w3.org>

Mark Birbeck wrote:
>> Dropping it would work too. I still haven't seen any use cases that
>> require this particular empty construct.
>
> That doesn't mean there aren't any! Steven gives a number in one of
> his presentations:
>
> <http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/04-19-steven-XHTML2-XForms/>
>
> (See about 1/3 of the way down.)
>
> The idea is that we need some kind of *semantic* separator. In a
> navigation list it might separate one group of links from another; in
> some prose it might be a 'pause' that is more than a new paragraph,
> but less than a new section or chapter.

Yes, but why does it have to be an empty construct? The use cases you
mention could easily be achieved as well using a grouping element that
separates the two instances. Using CSS or some other styling language
you can tell a voice browser to take a pause or a visual browser to draw
a small SVG image between the two section to separate them...

Grouping things in order to separate is more practical than using an
empty element construct to split siblings.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>