Re: About XHTML 2.0

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 16:31:36 +0200
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
CC: webmaster@eammm.com, www-html@w3.org, 'Dan Brickley' <danbri@w3.org>

Mark Birbeck wrote:
>> Dropping it would work too. I still haven't seen any use cases that
>> require this particular empty construct.
> That doesn't mean there aren't any! Steven gives a number in one of
> his presentations:
> <http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/04-19-steven-XHTML2-XForms/>
> (See about 1/3 of the way down.)
> The idea is that we need some kind of *semantic* separator. In a
> navigation list it might separate one group of links from another; in
> some prose it might be a 'pause' that is more than a new paragraph,
> but less than a new section or chapter.

Yes, but why does it have to be an empty construct? The use cases you
mention could easily be achieved as well using a grouping element that
separates the two instances. Using CSS or some other styling language
you can tell a voice browser to take a pause or a visual browser to draw
a small SVG image between the two section to separate them...

Grouping things in order to separate is more practical than using an
empty element construct to split siblings.

  Anne van Kesteren