Re: separator/seperator (was: Re: About XHTML 2.0)

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:23:27 +0200 (MEST)
To: www-html@w3.org

The main issue I see refers to styling and formatting: If you have got no
such "separator" element, it is more difficult to create visual separations.

Consider the following markup:

  <separator />

For visual distinction, it is sufficient to use e.g.

  separator { border-top: 1px solid; }

But, if you use another kind of separation:

...a simple type selector would not suffice. Yeah, I know, CSS offers ways
to address this nonetheless (CSS 2: "div:first-child", in this case, CSS 3:
overriding "div" assignments via "div:nth-last-child(1)" or other funky
stuff), but this is a completely different approach.

It puts the cart before the horse, but I'm not that concerned with a
"separator" element (though I'd favor "sep", too). It's an empty element,
yes, it's not that semantically hot, no, but it offers certain flexibility
to, huh, separate.

Jens Meiert
Information Architect