Re: separator/seperator Re: About XHTML 2.0

From: Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@w3future.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:48:02 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:
> There is a semantic construct that is a seperator, but does not
> seperate sections. It is a light weight seperator.  So in this
> particular case it is semantic. What I'm getting from the suggestions
> here is that we don't need this semantic construct because we can
> style it. Well that's still bad. Removing paragraphs because we can
> get all we need from div's or vice versa isn't a good approach. Light
> weight seperators do exist and I for one like the fact that they get
> their own construct.

But a separator in this form is semantically vague, because you have to
guess what it actually separates. I know from experience when building
scrapers to generate rss form html. It's very easy if each item is in
its own container, than when they are only separated by a separator. In
particular it's hard to see where the first item starts, and where the
last item ends.

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/